Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Waffles Take Two.

I made homemade waffles back in July using a recipe from Tasty Kitchen, and wasn't super pleased with the results. So when I had my mental health day at my MiMi's last month, I came across "50 Pancakes & Waffles" insert from the Food Network Magazine and she told me to take it home with me. It's been sitting on my desk since, and I've been wanting to make waffles so today I finally did it. 

I modified the "Classic Waffle" recipe, and was quite pleased with the results. I will admit, I was a little skeptical at first because I wasn't sure about the shortening. I don't recall ever putting shortening in waffles before, and I'm not really sure what it does for the batter, so I guess I really can't complain. I also added vanilla, because I love vanilla and add it to everything. The batter was thick, and it made enough for the three of us and a few extra. Next time I will double the batch so I can stick plenty in the freezer for quick breakfasts. I will also add some mini chocolate chips, because pancakes and waffles are always better with chocolate chips (except the previous recipe I tried, haha).



Whole Wheat Waffles
adapted from Food Network Magazine
posted on Tasty Kitchen

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Tablespoons Sugar
1 teaspoon Salt
2 large Eggs
1 1/2 cups Milk
5 Tablespoons Shortening
4 Tablespoons Butter
1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract

1. Melt shortening and butter in microwave at 20 second intervals until fully melted. Meanwhile, whisk together dry ingredients in large bowl and preheat your waffle iron.
2. Add liquid ingredients to dry and whisk until incorporated (do not overmix!)
3. Ladle mix into waffle iron and cook until crisp.
Makes 10 square waffles.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home