Sunday, July 25, 2010

Comfort Food

Even though I didn't really grow up eating it, I think that Chicken Pot Pie is an incredible comfort food. You've got your meat, veggies, potato, and a yummy crust (whether it's made from a pie crust, a puff pastry, or biscuit topping). Perfect for a chilly evening or if you just want to whip up something quick.

I had my bake date with Nicole on Thursday (see previous post) and I knew I had off that evening so I wanted to make dinner. There were two stray chicken breasts in the freezer and two lonely ramekins that my MiMi had bought me that had yet to be used. So I started thawing the chicken breasts and washed the ramekins. Then went to work on finding a recipe.

I hadn't made pot pie since living in Florida, which coincidently was the first time I had ever made it. I used a pie crust and made it in a pie dish. I'm pretty sure it tasted good too. But I wasn't really sure a) where I got the recipe from and b) if I printed it out, where it was [more importantly, I was too lazy to look in my recipe book]. So I went to my new go-to recipe site, Tasty Kitchen. I searched through several different pot pie recipes, and decided to take the filling from one and the topping from another. They were super yummy and I will definitely use this as my new pot pie recipe.





Indvidual Chicken Pot Pies
adapted from The Dinky Kitchen

Ingredients
2 Cooked chicken breasts, cubed*
1 Bag frozen mixed veggies
1 Cup diced potato
3 Tablespoons butter
Quarter of small onion, diced**
1/2 Tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 Can Cream of Chicken Soup
1 Cup Milk
Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper to taste
1 1/2 Cups Bisquick
3/4 Cup Milk

*To speed things up, I cubed the chicken before cooking it in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes
**We're not huge fans of onions, so I didn't measure this but just cut up enough

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375. Boil potatoes for about 5 minutes then add veggies for another minute (just to heat them up). Drain, and take off heat.

In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat then add onion and Italian seasoning. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the onions are soft. Add soup and milk and salt/pepper to taste. Stir constantly so that you do not burn the mixture. Simmer the mixture (stirring occasionally) for another 5 minutes.

Combine sauce, chicken, and veggies and stir to incorporate. Taste the sauce to make sure the seasonings are where you want them. Divide filling into two ramekins, filling almost full.

To make the crust, mix together the Bisquick and 3/4 cup milk. Divide and put on top of pot pie filling (the crust expands and soaks up some of the juices in the filling so if you want to keep that from happening don't use a lot of the Bisquick mixture).

Put ramekins on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Let cool about 10 minutes before serving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home